Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Whole Foods by Christopher K.P. Brown

Born and raised on single parent lands
bottom boys because we didn’t inherit grands
from our grands, understand
poverty stayed in constant rotation like second hands
what kept us cool
love circulated like kitchen fans
eating cornbread and cabbage
hash and black eyed peas
those days long gone
I’m thinking Ph.Ds
conversations with my grandmother
the other end of the phone
I’m tryna explain
why I stopped eating neckbones
stopped eating pork chops
don’t even won’t bacon in my greens
ain’t running from my culture
I’m running from heart disease
daddy died of diabetes
granddaddy did too
giving myself insulin shots
ain’t what I’m tryna do
plus I don’t like needles
hate taking pills
when waiters ask about desert
I say, naw, just bring the bill
can’t afford cheesecake
nor apple pie a la mode
mint chocolate chip
I’d like to eat the whole bowl
but I’m tryna preserve my health
tryna preserve my wealth
I’ll eat anything for free
but I won’t sponsor my death
I said, grandmother, I love you
I just hope you understand
I’m just tryna improve
tryna become a better man
tryna stay healthy
so I don’t have to pay for pills
wish I could invest all of that money
I’ve seen you spend on hospital bills
I know it’s southern hospitality
you show your love through soul food
I guess times are changing though
I’ll take my kids to whole foods
all that extra money
that wasn’t spent on doctors and meds
I’ll take it and buy stock
take it and buy land
so financially, family will be straight for generations
both money and love
will be in constant rotation
I said, grandmother, that’s the plan
I just won’t your great grandkids
to inherit grands from their grands,
understand.

No comments: